(Garnished with Pico de Gallo)
Recipe courtesy of Michelle LeBleu, Executive Chef, Eron Field, Aramark.
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 lbs. maroon carrots, medium pieces
- ½ lb. potatoes, medium pieces
- 3 ½ tablespoons butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 quart flavorful chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only
- 4 French bread slices, toasted
- 2 hot house tomatoes, medium, diced
- 1 jalapeno, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
Put sliced onions in with butter over low heat and cover it. When the onions are semi soft, add the maroon carrots, potatoes, and salt. Put the cover on and continue to stew for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and continue to simmer until the vegetables are fully cooked. Remove from heat and add cilantro. Puree the soup in a blender and strain through a sieve. Season to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with French bread. Topped with garlic and Pico de Gallo. Serves 4.