Nothing compares to enjoying produce freshly picked from the garden. The satisfying crunch as you bite into a maroon carrot. The tangy, flavorful taste of freshly chopped cilantro, or the aromatic decadence of leek soup simmering on the stove are what you can expect when you use our produce. When it comes to fresh vegetables loaded with flavor and healthful nutrients, Little Bear speaks a language everyone can understand.
In the Rio Grande Valley, produce is a dime a dozen, but there is a tremendous difference between the Little Bear brand and other produce on the market today. Here are just a few points that set us apart from the rest:
- At Little Bear, we not only meet industry standards, we strive to exceed them. Each of our growers must conform to stringent quality standards and given the fact that 90 percent of the seeds we use are hybrid, you can be sure that our produce is of the highest quality available.
- Little Bear employs seven field supervisors who make certain that our irrigation and fertilization measures are correct and that we uphold all safety requirements for chemical application. Our supervisors also ensure that cultivation methods are performed properly and that all produce is handled with care during harvest.
- At harvest time, our trucks drive into the fields loaded with ice and shade cloths to protect and cool the fragile carrots, greens and other produce as it is transported to the shed.
- To meet our requirements for size, uniformity and appearance, Little Bear produce must pass our strict standards not once, but twice.
- Then, when the produce some into the shed, we wash it up to three times before packing. Next, we top off the box layers with ice in preparation for the trip to your warehouse.
- Little Bear produce holds up well during shopping because we don’t scrimp on our boxes. We use heavy, waxed cartons that are substantial enough to take the weight of our plump produce. These cartons cost us more but are well worth it.
- When it’s too hot to grow in Texas, it’s just the right temperature in the higher elevations of Mexico. That’s why Little Bear Produce has fields in both places—to maintain a longer growing cycle that keeps fresh produce coming to your stores beyond the limits of regional growing seasons.
- Because we manage the entire process—from field to truck to warehouse—you’ll discover that Little Bear Produce lowers spoilage and inventory shrinkage. We preserve the earth that has been so good to us by composting, recycling and managing our gardens according to sensible horticultural practices.
- We owe our success to the growers who bring their energy and knowledge into the fields every day. We are all family. That’s why Little Bear Produce provides benefits such as health insurance and competitive compensation to all who work here. And we are pleased that so many of our people have chosen to stay with Little Bear for years and years.